Scholarships for talented young riders
The school offers equestrian scholarships each year to provide opportunities and development for talented young riders in Cornwall.
What are the benefits of an equestrian scholarship?
- Receiving a means-tested bursary towards fees at Polwhele House.
- Receiving free riding lessons (10 x 30 minute individual lessons and 10 x 60 minute group lessons per term).
- Representing the school in various equestrian events.
- Participating in clinics with specialists.
- Becoming a school groom and working as part of a close team with a special purpose and a strong sense of identity.
- Developing leadership skills in a supportive environment with a great deal of individual attention.
What does the selection process involve?
Candidates will be:
- Required to complete a riding assessment which will include jumping a small fence.
- Assessed on their academic ability.
- Interviewed by the Headmaster and Head of Riding.
Please note reports from riding instructors will be requested as part of the selection process.
What is the time commitment?
- Equestrian scholars will be expected to make a significant contribution to the equestrian life of the school, including competing in the school team when required.
- The scholars are involved in the riding school before school every day from 8.10-8.50am and after school for group lessons and stable duties.
Who can apply?
- Equestrian scholarship assessments are held at regular intervals throughout the year and candidates from Year 3 upwards are considered. The earliest point at which the scholarship can commence is Year 4, running for 5 years; however, children in other years are also welcome to apply.
- Candidates from any school can apply though, if successful, they would become a pupil at Polwhele House.
How to find out more or apply?
The Headmaster and Head of Riding are happy to meet candidates and their parents at any time of year to tour them around school and offer informal advice.
Appointments can be made or application forms requested by contacting the School Secretary on 01872 273011 or email@example.com.